[OmniOS-discuss] latent problem with networking

Doug Hughes doug at will.to
Thu Dec 18 16:26:40 UTC 2014

the machine has been up for a while. It seems like something funky is going
on in the network stack. it pings ok.. ssh inbound new sessions no longer
work. The master ssh process isn't bound to port 22 any more (pfiles).
Active ssh session to this machine continues to work, however.

Also, pkg install gets stuck, looks like on DNS.

But the DNS server is responsive from other hosts, and I can see all
request/response from the client on the DNS server: the client omniOS
machine cannot see the responses from the server, though. Ping between
omnios machine and DNS server is fully functional (initiated from either
side). There is no firewall between them.

I can see existing ssh packets (pre-existing this strange new condition)
going back and forth quite well (also to DNS server) - demonstrating that
there is no intervening network problem.

I can see tcp/udp packets reaching the server from the omniOS machine and

Here's the simplest test... I start up ttcp -r on the server, it binds to
port 5001, listening. I run snoop.. Then I try to connect to 5001 from
another machine. I see the packets in snoop, but the accept call on the
omniOS machine never returns. Something seems wonky in network land. Has
anybody seen this? THe machine has been up for weeks without any problems.

  OmniOS v11 r151012
  Copyright 2014 OmniTI Computer Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved.
  Use is subject to license terms.

Regular/plain Intel chipset:
e1000g0:
root at xyr-r:/root# dladm show-link e1000g0
LINK        CLASS     MTU    STATE    BRIDGE     OVER
e1000g0     phys      1500   up       --         --
root at xyr-r:/root# dladm show-phys e1000g0
LINK         MEDIA                STATE      SPEED  DUPLEX    DEVICE
e1000g0      Ethernet             up         1000   full      e1000g0

e1000 prtdiag excerpt:
                    name='device-name' type=string items=1
                        value='82574L Gigabit Network Connection'
                    name='subsystem-name' type=string items=1
                        value='unknown subsystem'
                Device Minor Nodes:
                    dev=(112,1)
                        dev_path=/pci at 0,0/pci8086,1d14 at 1c,2/pci122e,10d3 at 0
:e1000g0

Ideas?