[OmniOS-discuss] Ang: Re: Ang: Re: CoreOS

Johan Kragsterman johan.kragsterman at capvert.se
Sat Dec 20 11:47:47 UTC 2014

Hi, Jorge and all!

I would be interested in discussing this further, but perhaps omnios-discuss isn't the right place? Since I don't know if this is omnios/illumos/coreos specific...

I did some experimenting:

I only used CoreOS stable in my tests.

I tried the iso, but the iso isn't full featured, and doesn't run docker out of the box. And the docker implementation is of coarse what everybody is interested in. I got it to boot without problems, but I had big problems with VNC keymapping due to my Swedish keyboard and perhaps my Swedish client computer. So I could actually never do something with it, and since it is not full featured, it is not what I want to use.

So instead, I downloaded the img file for qemu, created a volume, and dd'ed the image to the volume, and then set this volume as boot. That went fine, to get it to boot. But then, with the default boot option in grub, it panicked, and restarted every 60 seconds.

I stopped the grub booting, and chosed the B option. That didn't panic, but it didn't work either, it was too much that didn't work. But option A went fine, no panic, and everything seem to work more or less without problems. The only problem here seem to be that I can't log in, due to the "first log in"-principles they seem to have: It is only possible to log in via ssh, which means the network have to be up, and I couldn't get the network to come up....so there I am right now...

Regards Johan