[OmniOS-discuss] building our own packages : suggested prefix?

Tim Rice tim at multitalents.net
Sat Feb 8 19:10:52 UTC 2014

Mayuresh,

On Sat, 8 Feb 2014, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:

> hello, would anyone with custom software building for omnios
> be able to suggest the usual value for "--prefix" variable
> to "./configure"?

That would depend on whether you intend to build installable packages or
are just doing the equivalent of "configure ; make ; make install".
If you are not packaging up the code and are just doing a "make install",
the convention is to use /usr/local as the prefix.

If you intend to build a package installable with
"pkg install some_package_name", there are more things to consider.
If you intend to publish them for others to use, you will probably want
to choose some new directory in /opt. Perhaps /opt/mk.
If they are only used for systems you control, you may want to consider
something like

PACKAGE=lynx
	./configure \
	--prefix=/opt                           \
	--sysconfdir=/etc/opt/${PACKAGE}        \
	--localstatedir=/var/opt/${PACKAGE}     \
	--mandir=/opt/man                       \
	--docdir=/opt/share/doc/packages/${PACKAGE}     \
	--htmldir=/opt/share/doc/packages/${PACKAGE}/html       \

--
Tim Rice				Multitalents
tim at multitalents.net