[OmniOS-discuss] L2ARC actual size and zpool iostat -v output discrepancy?

wuffers moo at wuffers.net
Wed Feb 12 19:19:23 UTC 2014

Wow, thanks for the insightful explanation (and brilliant ASCII diagram).

You're right in that my L2ARC hasn't had time to fill up yet, as my system
uptime is creeping up to 5 days since the upgrade. Will be nice when the
persistent L2ARC feature finally makes it in so that it doesn't take that
long to rebuild.

As for general ZFS design, I think we should either fix the vdev space
> stats on L2ARC devices so that they precisely correspond to l2asize, or
> get rid of them altogether. Right now, the discrepancy there just
> confuses people.

Consider my curiosity sated (and confusion resolved), but I was glad I was
able to help raise this point. I'll just ignore the, as you call them,
"vdev space stats" for now.