[OmniOS-discuss] Disappearing drives?

Dan Swartzendruber dswartz at druber.com
Fri Feb 14 16:29:43 UTC 2014

I've been running an install on r151008.  rpool mirrored on two WD black
160GB sata drives.  8 SAS nearline drives in a raid10.  Two samsung 840PRO
128GB drives as l2arc.  The sas and l2arc drives are on an LSI HBA, and
the rpool on motherboard sata ports.  Twice now, I've had drives disappear
- the first time was one of the rpool drives, and yesterday one of the
l2arc drives.  The symptom is that zpool status shows thousands of
read/write errors and the drive is offlined.  If I run the format command,
it shows that drive as 'unknown drive type'.  I apologize for not getting
more specific data - the first time, I wrote off as an anomaly, but
yesterday I really should have cut&pasted anything relevant.  Anyway, I'm
puzzled that there seems no common hardware or driver factor.  The rpool
drives are sata, and are using the sata-phy driver (I think that's what I
dug out of prtconf -v), whereas, although the l2arc drives are sata, since
they are on the lsi hba, they are using the sas-mpt driver.  I wasn't that
concerned about yesterday's incident, since l2arc drives could both die
suddenly and not take things down, but having rpool go bye-bye is not good
- this is why I was paranoid and mirrored it.  Any ideas?  If this happens
again, what should I look for?