[OmniOS-discuss] illumos power management...again...

Johan Kragsterman johan.kragsterman at capvert.se
Fri Feb 28 07:13:44 UTC 2014

Hi!

I remember a discussion on this theme last year. I've been reading up on that, but that didn't answer my questions.

I'm in the process of building a new main home server, and I would of coarse like it to be energy efficient. I don't use much space normally, so my daily working environment doesn't need much space, which means I can use all SSD's for that.

Though I would like a backup/nfs environment, with more space on spinning disks, and I got two different scenarious to choose from here:

One is building a separate machine for backup/nfs, and only start it when it needs to be started( with wake on LAN).

The other is to have the spinning disks in my main home server, and use illumos power management to take care of powering down the disks when they are not in use.
This would of coarse be the easiest way, if the power management system is efficient enough.

I don't know if the system can/do power down the disks if the nfs server is active and the shares are mounted? (I don't have any problems with latencies/delays here, since it isn't in regular use)

If so, good!
If not, I could umount the shares and turn off the nfs server, and export the pool, if that would help spinning down disks...

Someone got any insight and/or suggestions here...?

Best regards from/Med vänliga hälsningar från

Johan Kragsterman

Capvert