[OmniOS-discuss] dd does not work as expected with count=0 option

Janne Savikko jsavikko at niksula.hut.fi
Tue Jul 29 12:21:05 UTC 2014

Hi,

I've used dd to create sparse files, and I noticed that dd does not work
as expected with count=0 option, but keeps writing indefinitely. This does
not happen with dd of Ubuntu 12.04,14.04, Solaris 11 Express (snv_151a),
OSX 10.10 beta or OpenBSD 5.5.

OmniOS build that I've tested this problem: omnios-b281e50 i86pc
This behavior happens also with old Solaris 10 (Generic_139555-08 sun4v).

Manual pages state "count=n, Copies only n input blocks". So according to
documentation I expect it to copy only 0 blocks.

Is this desired behavior (and should documentation be fixed) or a bug?

Cheers,
Janne