[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS doc

Michael Rasmussen mir at miras.org
Sat Nov 1 22:44:14 UTC 2014

On Sat, 1 Nov 2014 17:56:52 -0400
Dan McDonald <danmcd at omniti.com> wrote:

> If we need more docs because it will attract people to OmniOS and help it grow, I'm all for it.  Specific examples of what people think will help are appreciated.

If we want to be more friendly to newcomers some kind of basic stuff is
needed. I can remember my own first journey into Omnios which demanded
endless searches and readings from Oracle (Solaris), OpenIndiana,
Nexenta, SmartOS, Google, and Youtube etc. And of course reading Omniti
and this list. A lot of stuff from Oracle is good but cannot always be
used directly since Omnios/Illumos is somewhere in between Solaris 10
and Solaris 11. What would have helped me a great deal would have been
able to get all this stuff from one source, and a source with examples
directly able to be used.

First I think a list of hardware known to work and not known to work
would be great. The list should be divided into a section for each
stable and LTS version. Something like:
1) CPU
2) Chipset
3) GPU
4) Controller. Onboard, HBA and RAID
5) Nics
6) Motherboards
An something more which I am sure I have forgotten;-)

I my opinion the best thing would be a web based searchable database.
It should be open to everyone registered and everyone should be
encourage to add there own findings.

Second, I really mis some good tutorials about various subjects. This
could be implemented in some kind of wiki. It should be open to
everyone registered and everyone should be encourage to add input they
think would be of interest to others. There is nothing better than to
stand on the shoulders of other wise guys.

Third, a section of typical problems users can find them selfs in with
guides to either solve the problem or if to solution is found in the
section yet and guide to extract all needed information to be send to
the list when asking for help. Providing a list of required information
to the ones able to help you as part of the first request on the list
is more likely to receive a swift answer with, hopefully, the correct
solution.

As I am very pleased with Omnios I would love to see its popularity rise
so I will participate to the best of my knowledge and spare time.

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys:
michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
mir <at> datanom <dot> net
mir <at> miras <dot> org
/usr/games/fortune -es says:
It would be illogical to assume that all conditions remain stable.
		-- Spock, "The Enterprise Incident", stardate 5027.3