[OmniOS-discuss] crash dump speed painfully slow

Schweiss, Chip chip at innovates.com
Wed Nov 5 20:31:08 UTC 2014

I had a system crash this morning when I/O on a pool was hung with
failmode=panic.

That was 7 1/2 hours ago and it's at 64%.    I'm going to let it complete
so the failure can be analyzed more, but I really need to find a way to
significantly speed up the crash dumps.

This system has 256GB ram and a dedicated dump pool of two 320GB mirrored
SATA disks.

I'm aware of the multi-threaded dump issue so I have these to lines in
/etc/system

set dump_plat_mincpu=0
set dump_bzip2_level=1

It's not clear where the bottleneck is.  I don't think it's the disk.  The
disk activity lights are a light flicker, by no means being hit hard.
Unless it's a serial latency issue.

What would be my best approach to get good dumps from a system like this in
minutes, not hours?   Assuming that is possible.

Thanks!
-Chip