[OmniOS-discuss] common-factor key exchange

Christian Kivalo valo at valo.at
Fri Nov 28 09:55:04 UTC 2014

Hello,

On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 19:17:03 +1000 Michael Mounteney <gate03 at landcroft.co.uk>
wrote

> After a recent upgrade to my Gentoo Linux installations, I can no
> longer ssh into them from OmniOS:
>
> -bash-4.3$ ssh 192.168.1.48
> no common kex alg: client
> 'diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha1,diffie-hellman-group1-sha1', server
> 'curve25519-sha256 at libssh.org,ecdh-sha2-nistp256,ecdh-sha2-nistp384,ecdh-sha2
> -nistp521,diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha256,diffie-hellman-group14-sha1'

This seems to be a recurring error message with current linux distributions.

I have noticed this error message after recently upgrading to Debian 8, where i
currently have lowered the sshd defaults on Debian to allow the OmniOS to
connect.

I would be interestent in replacing the default ssh package with OpenSSH on the
OmniOS installation, but the ssh package seems to be bound to @entire so this
looks to me as if this is not as easy as uninstall/install to replace the ssh
daemon/client...

> The client being OmniOS and the server being Gentoo Linux.  Now I could
> downgrade what Gentoo offers, but it would be nicer to upgrade what
> OmniOS offers.  Is there a way ?

It should be possible to create a special host configuration to offer specific
kex algorithms only to the the OmniOS client but had no time to test that
configuration.

> Michael.

- christian