[OmniOS-discuss] Panic when starting installer as KVM guest

David Khacherian dmkhacherian at csupomona.edu
Sat Sep 20 02:25:47 UTC 2014

I've been trying to get the OmniOS installer working under kvm with
qemu, and I'm always presented with the same kernel panic at the same
place after the Oracle copyright notice, after which the installer
restarts itself:

*SunOS Release 5.11 Version omnios-b281e50 64-bit
Copyright (c) 1983, 2010, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
panic[cpu0]/thread=fffffffffbc2fac0*

I've tried both the LTS and current stable installers, and they give the
same results. I've tried disabling ACPI and HPET, varying the amount of
RAM and VCPUs, etc..., to no avail.
Here's the exact line I'm using to invoke qemu:

*qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -vga std -m 2048 -cdrom
OmniOS_Text_r151010u.iso -boot order=d omnios.img*

Output of 'qemu -version':

*QEMU emulator version 2.1.0, Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Fabrice Bellard

*And if it helps, the KVM host is Gentoo, with a hardened 3.15.8 kernel.
The use-flags I used when building qemu can be found here:
http://pastebin.com/hDTUgU4r

Omitting "-enable-kvm" lets the virtual machine run as expected, albeit
at a crawl.

I suspect that there may be a bug at work here, and I'd greatly
appreciate any suggestions on how to proceed. Thanks for your time.