[OmniOS-discuss] r151012 is coming...

Richard PALO richard at netbsd.org
Sat Sep 20 06:23:14 UTC 2014

Le 03/09/14 00:06, Bob Friesenhahn a écrit :
> On Tue, 2 Sep 2014, Theo Schlossnagle wrote:
>
>> The poses the question: we're already responsible for the correct
>> operation of the pkgadd (SVR4 tools) and pkg(5) IPS tools.
>>  I'm not sure that OmniOS wants to be responsible for the correct
>> operation of pkgin (not even opening the can of worms that
>> are the packages that it provides).
>
> There is also the issue that there are 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the
> packages and different package manager binaries for each.  I installed
> the 64-bit versions on my OpenIndiana system and learned that they are
> very 64-bit.  For example, the GCC compiler produces 64-bit code by
> default.  Linking behavior is also different.
>
> Putting the pkgsrc-installed packages in my executable search path
> caused stability problems for my software development practices
> (introduced build problems) and so I have removed it from my executable
> search path.
>
> Bob

You seem to indicate a preference (or need) for the multiarch work that
Joyent has in progress but not pushed as yet to upstream pkgsrc.
https://github.com/joyent/pkgsrc/tree/joyent/feature/multiarch/trunk

Naturally for a contained pkgsrc development environment (which it is),
bootstrapping a zone for each arch (e.g. i386 and x86_64) is actually
quite useful (let's ignore for the moment any other architectures)...

I'm running gnome with ff/tb esr24 on omnios and use it as my dev
platform primarily with pkgsrc tools, using 32bit for the global zone.
I also bootstrap two development zones - dev32 and dev64 - respectively
with --abi=32 and --abi=64.