[OmniOS-discuss] Best infrastructure for VSphere/Hyper-V

Nate Smith nsmith at careyweb.com
Mon Apr 6 18:55:23 UTC 2015

Sorry. Screwed up the first time I tried to post. Here's the actual message:

Update: I disabled cstates and mwaits in bios and that fixed the crashes i was getting when,the system was slow. But I still got the qlogic target dropouts during certain ios.after lots of research, I guessed that I was having a queuing problem.

To alleviate that I did a couple things:

1. Reconfigured all my host and target views so that each host port only saw one target port. Formerly I had all four of my target ports mapped to both initiators on each host. This led to a situation where i had up to eight  mpio paths on each lun on each host.

2. Assuming an incoming queue depth of 256 (right?) for each fibre target port, a round robin mpio infrastructure was bound to flood the target ports. Some documentation on qlogic indicated the default per lun outgoing queue depth was 32. After some calculations I dropped this to 16.

As of now, each host lun only has two mpio paths in round robin with an outgoing queue depth of 16. I tried to test it under io load and was unable to get it to drop out in scenarios that would cause qlt to drop out in the past. (Multiple io operations while running a backup and destroying a hyperv checkpoint, etc.) system appears stable. So far. Thanks for the help everyone. Will update.
-Nate