[OmniOS-discuss] Internal pkg error during a test r151010 to r151014 upgrade

Chris Siebenmann cks at cs.toronto.edu
Mon Apr 6 20:31:17 UTC 2015

> We've had one other person complain about update problems, and his was
> a false-positive hit on an anti-virus middlebox.
>
> You don't have such beasts in your network, do you?

 We don't. I'm confident that my test machine is pulling things directly
from the repos.

> > Update Phase                              3141/16901Action upgrade failed for 'opt/gcc-4.8.1/lib/amd64/libstdc++.so.6.0.18-gdb.py' (pkg://omnios/developer/gcc48):
> > TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not callable
>
> It's like you got an empty file for this one.

 Looking at the Python code a bit, this seems to specifically be that
self.data is None, which seems to happen if the FileAction object is
initialized without a data argument and then nothing gets set up for it
later.

> > If people want I can make our customization scripts available
> > so people can see exactly what we do to our poor OmniOS r151010
> > systems. (Some of the bits are probably slightly gory and improper.)
>
> I doubt your "improper" behavior changes the version of python the
> pkg(5) system uses, but if it does, that's one other possibility.

 /usr/bin/pkg specifies /usr/bin/python2.6, which as far as I know is
unaltered by our install stuff. It certainly should be standard; we
don't even install alternate Python versions from eg pkgsrc.

	- cks