[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS as web server: what good/best practices to follow?

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Wed Apr 8 10:51:52 UTC 2015

Hi Davide!

> I'm trying to understand (1st issue) what web server to use (both
> apache and nginx are good candidates for Drupal, as far as I can
> see) and (2nd issue) how to perform its installation (relying on
> specific repositories that provide those packages or via pkgsrc as
> happens with SmartOS) considering also the idea (hope that it will
> not be too silly) that (3rd issue) it would be great to have the web
> server document root in a separate ZFS dataset (so not into the root
> pool).

I am using the apache22 from the OmniOS "add-on" repository at
ms.omnios.com.  It works perfectly and is absolutely good enough.
Apache was installed on the server while it was running 012, but
the server is now updated to 014.  Apache still works fine under 014.
However, it serves only static content here, no Drupal.

As document root, I created a separate ZFS dataset, called it
/www, and edited httpd.conf accordingly.

HTH and regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"