[OmniOS-discuss] Newer pkg list -v no longer displays build version

Eric Sproul eric.sproul at circonus.com
Wed Apr 8 18:39:20 UTC 2015

FYI, just something I noticed that I've discovered I have to account
for as I work on Circonus support for r151014...

The updated pkg(5) in 014 changes the default format for versions in
`pkg list -v` output.  Previously, the format was:

component,build-branch:timestamp

now it appears to be:

component-branch:timestamp

For example, here's one of our packages on 006 vs. 014.  I've omitted
the timestamps for clarity:

pkg://circonus/platform/runtime/nodejs@0.10.38,5.11-0.151006
pkg://circonus/platform/runtime/nodejs@0.10.38-0.151014

The build version ("5.11") is now omitted.  This is fine, as it
rarely, if ever changes, and we usually care much more about the other
two.  This did, however, spoil some regexes I use to determine
installed versions of dependent packages (for things that pkgdepend(1)
doesn't cover).  If you do something similar in your own packaging
builds, watch out for this.

I haven't dug into the commit history on current pkg(5) to find out
when/why it changed, but if anyone knows, I'd be interested, just to
satisfy my curiosity.

Eric