[OmniOS-discuss] kvm network performance survey

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Fri Apr 10 13:52:19 UTC 2015

Hi,

For the past few months I have been struggling with bad KVM nework
performance on omnios R12 and R14.  Especially under
bidirectional load things are looking terrible (factor 1000).

Every now and then there is a report on the mailinglist about such
problems, but we have not yet seen anything really helpful.

In my tests I have been using iperf to collect streaming tcp
network performance on verious configurations.

I realy want to see this solved. As an initial effort, I have setup
a google spreadsheet to collect performance data. The sheet
includes instructions on how to test and lets you record your test
results:

  http://goo.gl/Vr1tC6

Please add your test results, or even better, figure out what is going wrong!

cheers
tobi

www.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch +41 62 775 9902