[OmniOS-discuss] esxi 5.5 to omnios r151014 nfs server issue

Schweiss, Chip chip at innovates.com
Fri Apr 10 15:59:30 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 10:23 AM, Richard Elling <
richard.elling at richardelling.com> wrote:

> It is my understanding that ESX doesn't use NFS locking, they implement
> their own.
> This makes sense, because NFSv2/3 locking has been problematic since the
> beginning,
> from all vendors. Again, this is easy to measure.

I thought that too, but looking in the advanced config, there are a couple
tunables for nfs locks.  NFS.LockRenewMaxFailureNumber, range 1-100, def 3
and NFS.LockUpdateTimeout, range 1-8 default 5.  This is on ESXi 5.5.

I don't have an non-production datastores connected to ESXi, or else I
would test this right away.

-Chip