[OmniOS-discuss] Bug in pkg/server on OmniOS when the publisher name contains a dash

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Mon Apr 20 17:48:17 UTC 2015

> On Apr 20, 2015, at 1:11 PM, Volker A. Brandt <vab at bb-c.de> wrote:
>
> Hello all!
>

> This is paraphrased from a mail that I had sent to Dan privately on
> March 31st.  Unfortunately, the problem still persists in 151014.

Dug through my mail, and I didn't see this note.  I may have lost it, but gmail is usually good about not letting you get rid of mails.  :(

> There seems to be a bug in the IPS version that comes with OmniOS.  If
> there is a dash in the publisher name and the repo is accessed via http,
> it breaks:
>
>  omnitest# pkg set-publisher -g http://omnios-server:12345/ my-pub
>  pkg set-publisher: Could not refresh the catalog for my-pub
>
>  http protocol error: code: 400 reason: Bad Request
>
> It does not matter if the client is OmniOS or Solaris 11.2, it always
> breaks.

I'm seeing a different variant of this error using a toy repo I set up.  It has to be an http repo using pkg.depotd.  If I use a file:/// URL, it appears to work.

> The Solaris 11.2 SRU8 /usr/bin/pkg has CLIENT_API_VERSION = 79, whereas
> the OmniOS /usr/bin/pkg is at CLIENT_API_VERSION = 75.  So my guess is
> that the bug was fixed upstream somewhere between the pkg version
> shipped with OmniOS 151014 and the one shipped S11.2 SRU 8.

The OmniOS version of pkg(5) is a downstream of OpenIndiana's, which is in turn a downstream of Oracle's, but last synched in 2013 (because Oracle uses hg, and git from hg is annoying).  The github URL is https://github.com/omniti-labs/pkg5/ if you wanna poke around in the source we use.  NOTE we have per-release branches starting with r151014, but the "default master" is called "omnios" because we're a downstream child of another downstream child.

> Has anyone seen this problem before?  Or does anyone have an OmniOS
> system successfully serving IPS packages with a dash in the publisher
> name?  Any and all info gratefully accepted!  It is entirely possible
> that I am doing something wrong, but I don't really know where to look.

I don't know of anyone who uses dashes in their publisher name.  I wonder if this bug was around a while, and that's why it's "ms.omniti.com" instead of "omniti-ms", for example?

ANYWAY, my toy server with an empty repo had this in its logs:

127.0.0.1 - - [20/Apr/2015:13:32:46] "GET /versions/0/ HTTP/1.1" 200 179 "" "pkg/1427212657 (sunos i86pc; 5.11 omnios-fbd6dc7; full; pkg)"
127.0.0.1 - - [20/Apr/2015:13:32:46] "GET /publisher/0/ HTTP/1.1" 200 57 "" "pkg/1427212657 (sunos i86pc; 5.11 omnios-fbd6dc7; full; pkg)"