[OmniOS-discuss] Bug in pkg/server on OmniOS when the publisher name contains a dash

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Mon Apr 20 21:32:22 UTC 2015

> >> The OmniOS version of pkg(5) is a downstream of OpenIndiana's,
> >> which is in turn a downstream of Oracle's, but last synched in
> >> 2013 (because Oracle uses hg, and git from hg is annoying).
> >
> > Interesting, wasn't aware of that.  So is it really just a matter
> > of mercurial->git conversion, or has the OI/Omni version of pkg
> > diverged too much?
> >
> > if the former, maybe one of the many tools could be leveraged that
> > pull stuff out of hg repos and push it into git?
>
> I don't know.  I don't do the downstreaming from Oracle... OI does.

OK, I will post a query to the OI dev list when I have time.

> Just running pkg.depotd in the foreground.
>
> 	/usr/lib/pkg.depotd -p 2112 -d blah
>
> Port 2112, with "blah" being a pkgrepo(1M) directory.

Neat trick for debugging, thanks.

[...]
> > ...but the pkg/server:my-pub instance listens on another port,
> > hence the 404 codes.
>
> I'd have to look deeper, and maybe enable more debugging output.

The 404 is expected.  That was just to show the "pkg/1427212657".

> > Going forward, what is the likelihood of OmniOS adopting a more
> > recent version of the Oracle IPS gate?  I don't really think I can
> > offer much help (ENOTIME, ENOCLUE, etc.) but IMHO it would be well
> > worth while if it fixes that bug.
>
> I have enough else pulling at me at the moment I can't look at this
> deeply right now.

Understood.  Same here.  Thanks for having a look!

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"