[OmniOS-discuss] ZFS ACL Solaris CIFS and Windows client

Sebastian Gabler sequoiamobil at gmx.net
Tue Apr 28 12:09:40 UTC 2015

Hi,

I am a bit stuck in getting my ACL management straight for the CIFS
shares I run. What I would like to do is to set all the ACLs from
Windows. What does not work right now is to assign ownership to a
sharepoint or an object below it to a different user, i.e. to set
ownership as the Domain Administrator to a specific user. I get an error
message that a "Restore" privilege would be missing, but the error
message is unclear if that applies to the current context (Domain
Administrator), or the prospective owner. I can set full control for
that user, however.
Specifically,
1. I am wondering how to get, from my illumos machine, the privileges
applicable on an object for a certain user.
2. finding out what is required to take/provide ownership, specifically
of a sharepoint, from Windows, (ACLs, idmap, ZFS acl modes and
inhertiance modes, etc), and in what hierarchy things apply.
I am aware that this may be a FAQ, but I didn't find comprehensive
documentation on the matter. The Oracle docs are focussed to explain how
things work from the Solaris side, most HowTos that include the Windows
side are not deep enough.

Thanks for any hints.

With best regards,

Sebastian