[OmniOS-discuss] upgrade to 151014

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Fri Aug 7 20:10:06 UTC 2015

So I finally got around to upgrading my home storage server to 014, went
super smoothly (thanks Dan!).

I was looking at the new mailwrapper stuff and noticed a typo in the
mailer.conf man page, under the FILES section it says
/etc/mail/mailer.conf instead of /etc/mailer.conf. Looks like that comes
from upstream, I opened an issue for it. Not really worth fixing by
itself, maybe I'll grab a few more man page bugs and submit a bundle.

So, has anybody enabled the large_blocks zpool feature? My storage
server is the backend for my mythtv dvr, and has a filesystem full of
large files:

6.3G    1111_20150505040000.mpg
13G     1111_20150508030000.mpg
3.0G    1111_20150511030000.mpg
13G     1111_20150512030000.mpg
6.3G    1111_20150515030000.mpg
6.3G    1111_20150515040000.mpg
3.1G    1111_20150518030000.mpg
13G     1111_20150519030000.mpg

along with small files (screenshots):

113K    1111_20150605040000.mpg.png
97K     1111_20150609030000.mpg.png
81K     1111_20150612030000.mpg.png
81K     1111_20150612040000.mpg.png
97K     1111_20150616030000.mpg.png
97K     1111_20150623030000.mpg.png
97K     1111_20150626040000.mpg.png
97K     1111_20150630030000.mpg.png

Would enabling large blocks and bumping the record size to 1M improve
the efficiency or performance of a filesystem with large files like
this? Would there be any negative consequences for the small files it
also contains? Based on the originating bug 5027 it would only really be
an improvement when multiple videos are simultaneously streamed. I've
only got two TV's, so don't really stream more than two videos, although
I've got four tuners, so there might be up to four streams being
written, two being read, plus real time commercial flagging of shows
currently being recorded, so overall a max of 4 write streams and 6 read
streams... Just wondering if anybody has played with it in production
and might have some feedback.

Thanks...