[OmniOS-discuss] upgrade to 151014

Greg Mason gmason at msu.edu
Fri Aug 7 22:10:16 UTC 2015

> The 1MB blocks are interesting to experiment with but I would not use them without observing positive impact in real usage.

If you have an application that does IO in large blocks, the large block support in ZFS should make this faster. If your application only does small IOs (regardless of file size), then my recommendation would be to stick with the 128k record size.

This was really added for things like Lustre on ZFS, which *really* likes 1MB IOs. Speaking as such a user, it is *awesome* and allows us to get much closer to the performance that the hardware is capable of. Large block sequential writes are massively improved when compared to ZFS with 128k record size.

-Greg