[OmniOS-discuss] dell 730xd with md3060e jbod

Randy S sim.ple at live.nl
Fri Aug 14 07:38:56 UTC 2015

Thanks Richard!
Will try this

Subject: Re: [OmniOS-discuss] dell 730xd with md3060e jbod
From: richard.elling at richardelling.com
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 12:11:29 -0700
CC: omnios-discuss at lists.omniti.com
To: sim.ple at live.nl

On Aug 13, 2015, at 8:47 AM, Randy S <sim.ple at live.nl> wrote:

Hi,

A while ago I had a moment to test a 730XD with a md3060e jbod.
I have read the other threads  regarding the 730 usability.
I had no problems with it using omnios R12. However the use  of the JBOD did raise an issue regarding blinking disk leds.

I noticed that the signals send with sas2ircu were not doing their job (nothing blinks). After some calls to dell technicians, I heard
that dell has disabled these signals in their firmware and only allows signalling through their own tool, which only works with windows
and some linux flavours.

At that time I hear about santools which "might propably" be used for this blinking functionality (and more), but you have to buy it to test it.
Bit expensive for a test.

After this long intro, my question is:
Does anybody know of a another way (script, tools etc)  to get this blinking functionality going in this hardware combination (ofcourse NOT using dd) ?

Try fmtopo first. There are 3 indicators defined: fail, ident, ok2rm. Many SES vendorsonly implement fail and ident. Here an example:
/usr/lib/fm/fmd/fmtopo -P facility.mode=uint32:1 hc://:chassis-mfg=XYZ:chassis-name=XYZ-ABC:chassis-part=unknown:chassis-serial=500093d0016cc76/ses-enclosure=0/bay=1?indicator=fail
to de-assert the indicator, facility.mode=uint32:0
to find the FMRI string, use fmtopo to observe what your hardware reports. -- richard

As I understood, this same combination is used, as a standard, by a another (big) illumos kernel user and their systems also do not blink disks. I however,
would like to be able to find a disk easilly  to e.g. replace and not only depend on the internal disk tests which the JBOD seems to do by itself regardless of the OS used.

(Dell told me theJBOD detects defect disks by itself by performing some periodic tests. How it does this I do not know).

Regards,