[OmniOS-discuss] ZFS data corruption

Stephan Budach stephan.budach at JVM.DE
Wed Aug 19 19:21:41 UTC 2015

Am 19.08.15 um 19:37 schrieb Michael Rasmussen:
> On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 18:49:05 +0200
> Stephan Budach <stephan.budach at JVM.DE> wrote:
>
>> Looking at what we've got here, I don't think, that we're  actually dealing with real disk errors, as those should have been reported as read errors, or mayby as checksum errors otherwise. This must be something else, as it only seems to affect zvols and iSCSI targets. Maybe I willl create a LUN using a file and hook that up to the same RAC cluster, if I don't get any of these errors with that, it has to be something in accessing the zvol. Maybe it's all COMSTAR's fault entirely…
>>
> I have a storage box entirely distributing zvols as LUN's through
> Comstar for VM's. I have never experienced such problems so maybe it
> has to do with the usage and some of the layers in between. Are there
> any similarities between the used hypervisor and/or OS in VM's?

I do have some other OmniOS boxes, that also provide LUNs via zvols
through COMSTAR as iSCSI targets and those did not show these errors.
Both of them are 012s… and both of them provide iSCSI targets for the
very same RAC cluster. The only difference being that the LUNs from
those 012s are not mirrored on the RAC.

Cheers,
Stephan