[OmniOS-discuss] zfs / disk problem

Joe Veliscos joeveliscos at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 18:38:28 UTC 2015

I have somewhat of a puzzle .

I have a rather large zpool which has been running for quite a while now.
This pool contains 8 vdevs in Raidz1. Each vdev contains 5 disks. There
were also 5 spares in the pool.
Some time ago we had electricity problems so we had to take the whole box
was down as a precaution.
It was on a ups so we took it down orderly.
When I started it up again later on I saw that during the startup 5 disks
were replaced by the spares and thatthe pool was resilvering. The thing is
that these disks all belonged to the same vdev.
Pool resilvered but still degraded.

I have the strong impression that nothing is really wrong with these disks
but that at boot time these disks spun up too late
or something like that (might be of electricity problems) and so were
replaced as zfs thought they were not there.
Now I cannot access the data in the pool.

Is there a way to fool zfs into accepting this vdev with the original disks
back into the pool again in its original state?
Situation now is that:
2 of the old disks in the vdev are registered as removed
3 of the old disks in the vdev are registered as degraded
and
5 spares are registered as online

As far as I know zfs registers some info on each disk itself which tells
what pool/vdev it belongs to.
If during resilvering, this info is not removed by zfs, is there a chance
to :

situation 1:
1 shutdown the system
2 remove the spares
3 leave the originals
4 startup the system and hope for the best

situation 2:
do something low level on these disks (e.g. in case they do contain info
which keeps them out of the pool/vdev.)

I know this all is far fetched but I want to try anything to save the files
on this pool if possible.

Maybe someone has a good idea.
Will maybe also post at developers list.

Thank you,

Joe