[OmniOS-discuss] considering an SSD pool ... which SSD

Guenther Alka alka at hfg-gmuend.de
Wed Dec 9 08:10:58 UTC 2015

I use several SSD pools for years.

As there is no trim support I check for
- high quality controller for controller internal garbage collection
- large overprovisioning. Enterprise SSDs offer 40% or more
- quality flash with a high write endurance
- powerloss protection, optionally you can use a higher class Slog with
this feature

In my newer pools I use Intel S3610 as they are "quite" affordable
- not as expensice as the 37x0 line and with a better write performance
than the 35x0 line.

In my last cheaper pools I chosed the Sandisk Pro extreme. The Samsung
Pro was an option
but the Sandisks have a larger overprovisioning per default with a lower
write performance
degration under load. As they do not have powerloss protection, I added
fast Slog (S3700 or ZeusRAM)

Gea