[OmniOS-discuss] considering an SSD pool ... which SSD

Richard Jahnel rjahnel at ellipseinc.com
Wed Dec 9 15:36:10 UTC 2015

We have successfully used in order:

For the raidz2/3 vdevs
Patriot Torqx 2010
Crucial C300 2011
Samsung 840 Pros 2013 to current.

Samsung 850 Pros are in testing now.

If we could afford them we would prefer to use the Intel S3710 drives, but we can only afford enough of those for slogs.

For slog various Intel drives over the years.

No L2 cache is needed for SSD pools.

Key for us has been using double and more recently triple parity pools.

We have found in the last 5 years that as SSDs age they will take longer to ready up new pages for writes. Eventually they will start taking too long and falling out of the pool.
Usually doing a zpool clear will place them back online and be your sign that's it's time to start working on either replacing the entire pool or at least the drives one by one as they drop out more than once or twice.