[OmniOS-discuss] LUN (in)visibility

Tom Robinson tom.robinson at motec.com.au
Wed Dec 9 22:24:23 UTC 2015

OmniOS v11 r151012

Hi,

We are using iSCSI over 10G ethernet and Infiniband to connect our storage (OmniOS) to our virtual
infrastructure (KVM/ESXi). Our KVM host is using multipath and is configured to prefer Infiniband.
We also run an ESXi host (in legacy - we are changing to KVM) with a similar path selection
configuration.

A few weeks ago Infiniband failed to connect (although we couldn't see any reason why) but
thankfully all the initiators failed over to iSCSI on both KVM and ESXi. The iSCSI connection seemed
to be stable and would we could see all existing LUNs offered by the OmniOS server.

Since then I've been working on solving the Infiniband issue but couldn't find any obvious problems
with the configuration. In doing so I have rebooted both KVM and ESXi mulitple times. The Infiniband
fabric, however, didn't come back.

A couple of days ago I needed new storage for the virtual infrastructure but had an issue with
COMSTAR LUN visibility on the initiator end. I created two new target LUNs for iSCSI and the COMSTAR
end looked perfect but neither the KVM nor ESXi host picked them up on rescan (as they usually
would). At that time I had 68 active LUNs which were seen and active by the KVM and ESXi hosts but
the two new ones weren't appearing. I've done the procedure for adding new targets multiple times
before and it's always worked so this stumped me.

Yesterday I shutdown all our infrastructure and started OmniOS first, then KVM and ESXi. It's all
working again. The two new targets came up along with all of the others, Infinband and iSCSI are
working.

So great, but now I'm thinking I have an unknown instability issue in the storage system.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before? Where can I begin to look for the cause of the issue?

Kind regards,
Tom

--

Tom Robinson