[OmniOS-discuss] Samsung SM863

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Dec 10 20:20:19 UTC 2015

10 декабря 2015 г. 19:13:12 CET, Richard Elling <richard.elling at richardelling.com> пишет:

>> On Dec 10, 2015, at 4:58 AM, Tobias Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch> wrote:
>>
>> Just found that samsung now has an ssd with  power loss protection
>>
>> http://www.storagereview.com/samsung_sm863_ssd_review
>>
>> what do you think ?
>
>Power-loss protection is not required (ZFS works on HDDs :-) but it is
>a nice feature.
>Overall, this looks like a very nice SSD. I expect more
>enterprise-grade SSDs from
>Samsung in the future.
> -- richard

IIRC the historical issue was not per se with powerloss protection for ZFS needs, but with drives and firmwares that could misbehave when power disappeared if they did not yet flush ram to flash - including corruption of ssd metadata which bricked the device, and also in cases of graceful shutdown when the host cut its own power off afterwards. These effects were not seen as often (or ever) on ssds with capacitors or equivalent protection.

I do not know how much of this is FUD or relevant with today's devices vs. vendors' first steps a few years back, but the rule of thumb was to use protected ssds for anything other than scratch use (e.g. whole device dedicated as l2arc or other cache area) since nobody knew what's really good and what's not.

Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android