[OmniOS-discuss] Bloody update for December 11th

Guenther Alka alka at hfg-gmuend.de
Tue Dec 15 11:31:00 UTC 2015

I have updated the pdf with results from OmniOS bloody.

Main resultsfor 10G Ethernet on OSX 10.11 and Windows 8.1

-  OS version and client network driver is very criticalfor 10G
    on some configs or with some driver releases 10G is not faster than
1G (mostly on reads)
-  From Windows, performance to Solaris is similar than to OmniOS (at a
lower level than with OSX)
-  From OSX, SMB2 to Solaris is faster than to OmniOS
-  OSX is faster than Windows on SMB2 reads and writes out of the box
    SMB2 perfomance on OSX goes up to > 600 MB/s on writes and > 800
MB/s on reads
    SMB perfomance on Windows goes up to > 300 MB/s on writes and > 600
MB/s on reads

This is a quick "out of the box" check with SMB2 and Jumboframes as the
only special settingson OSX.
On Windows 8.1 defaults + mtu 9000 are used. Maybe we need some
additional tweakings on Windows

--
H          f   G
Hochschule für Gestaltung