[OmniOS-discuss] Dell vs. Supermicro and any recommendations..

Schweiss, Chip chip at innovates.com
Wed Feb 18 20:26:55 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 7:41 AM, Andy <omnios at citrus-it.net> wrote:

> I'd prefer to run Supermicro but might have some problems convincing
> those with the purse strings. Is anyone running, or can anyone recommend,
> a Supermicro server roughly equivalent to the Del R730xd, or give me an
> idea of what chipsets/HBAs etc. to choose or avoid for OmniOS?

I've been quite happy with the 6028U-TR4+.   It was the first 2U Ultra
server Supermicro was shipping.   Any of the 2U Ultra's would be a good
choice.   What I like about these in particular is lots of PCIe slots for
HBAs and 10GB NICs.   If your running RJ45 10GB they have versions with
10GB built in.

If it were available at the time I would have went with the 2028U, since it
has all 2 1/2 drives.   The only drives I've put in the SATA side has been
SSDs for boot and L2ARC.   With an internal HBA you could load it up with
24 drives.  I think with the on board SATA you are limited to 10 drives.

-Chip