[OmniOS-discuss] Controller and or HD recomendations. ZFS storage server - upgrade.

Schweiss, Chip chip at innovates.com
Thu Jan 8 16:48:57 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 9:25 AM, Svavar Örn Eysteinsson <svavar at pipar-tbwa.is
> wrote:

> Do people recommend any specific PCI-Express controllers that are preferred
> with ZFS and supports large disks. 4TB+
>
> any success/bad stories on 4TB+ disks from the manufactures ?
> Seagate/WD/Toshiba/HGST ... ?

As far as I know all enterprise grade 4TB disks are still 512b native
sectors so you're still okay at 4TB.  At 6TB things start changing.

If you're upgrading you can always to a zfs send/receive to a new 4K pool,
assuming you have the drive slots to make this happen.

I have had good luck with Seagate 4TB Constellation SAS.   I have a few
hundred of these running every since they were first released.

LSI 2008 or 2308 based HBAs are a good move to 6Gb SAS.   The support for
the 3008 is in the latest OmniOS, but it may still be a bit buggy as it
hasn't been widely used yet.

-Chip