[OmniOS-discuss] ZFS crash/reboot loop

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sun Jul 12 17:58:56 UTC 2015

On Sat, 11 Jul 2015, Derek Yarnell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We just have had a catastrophic event on one of our OmniOS r14 file
> servers.  In what seems to have been triggered by the weekly scrub of
> its one large zfs pool (~100T) it panics.  This made it basically reboot
> continually and we have installed a second copy of OmniOS r14 in the
> mean time.  We are able to mount the pool readonly and are currently
> securing the data as soon as possible.

The on-going scrub automatically restarts, apparently even in
read-only mode.  You should 'zpool scrub -s poolname' ASAP after boot
(if you can) to stop the ongoing scrub.

> ### After mounting in readonly mode
>  pool: zvol00
> state: ONLINE
> status: The pool is formatted using a legacy on-disk format.  The pool can
>        still be used, but some features are unavailable.
> action: Upgrade the pool using 'zpool upgrade'.  Once this is done, the
>        pool will no longer be accessible on software that does not
> support feature
>        flags.
>  scan: scrub in progress since Sat Jul 11 11:00:02 2015
>    2.24G scanned out of 69.5T at 1/s, (scan is slow, no estimated time)
>    0 repaired, 0.00% done

Observe evidence of the re-started scrub.  This may be tickling the
problem which causes the panic.

The underlying problem needs to be identified and fixed.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn