[OmniOS-discuss] ZFS crash/reboot loop

Günther Alka alka at hfg-gmuend.de
Sun Jul 12 19:21:07 UTC 2015

First action:
If you can mount the pool read-only, update your backup

Then
I would expect that a single bad disk is the reason of the problem on a
write command. I would first check the system and fault log or
smartvalues for hints about a bad disk. If there is a suspicious disk,
remove that and retry a regular import.

If there is no hint
Next what I would try is a pool export. Then create a script that
imports the pool followed by a scrub cancel. (Hope that the cancel is
faster than the crash). Then check logs during some pool activity.

If this does not help, I would remove all data disks and bootup.
Then hot-plug disk by disk and check if its detected properly and check
logs. Your pool remains offline until enough disks come back.
Adding disk by disk and checking logs should help to find a bad disk
that initiates a crash

Next option is, try a pool import where always one or next disk is
missing. Until there is no write, missing disks are not a problem with
ZFS (you may need to clear errors).

Last option:
use another server where you try to import (mainboard, power,  hba or
backplane problem) remove all disks and do a nondestructive or smart
test on another machine

Gea