[OmniOS-discuss] ZFS crash/reboot loop

Richard Elling richard.elling at richardelling.com
Mon Jul 13 01:18:17 UTC 2015

> On Jul 12, 2015, at 5:26 PM, Derek Yarnell <derek at umiacs.umd.edu> wrote:
>
> On 7/12/15 3:21 PM, Günther Alka wrote:
>> First action:
>> If you can mount the pool read-only, update your backup
>
> We are securing all the non-scratch data currently before messing with
> the pool any more.  We had backups as recent as the night before but it
> is still going to be faster to pull the current data from the readonly
> pool than from backups.
>
>> Then
>> I would expect that a single bad disk is the reason of the problem on a
>> write command. I would first check the system and fault log or
>> smartvalues for hints about a bad disk. If there is a suspicious disk,
>> remove that and retry a regular import.
>
> We have pulled all disks individually yesterday to test this exact
> theory.  We have hit the mpt_sas disk failure panics before so we had
> already tried this.

I don't believe this is a bad disk.

Some additional block pointer verification code was added in changeset
f63ab3d5a84a12b474655fc7e700db3efba6c4c9 and likely is the cause
of this assertion. In general, assertion failures are almost always software
problems -- the programmer didn't see what they expected.

Dan, if you're listening, Matt would be the best person to weigh-in on this.
 -- richard