[OmniOS-discuss] vmware issue with mirror

Martin Kloboucnik martinschki at mac.com
Thu Jul 23 06:51:49 UTC 2015

Hello,

I’m running  "OmniOS 5.11   omnios-8d266aa  2013.05.04” as my storage system with Napp-it on top on an ESXi server.
I have OmniOS on a virtual disk (vmdk) and have a second disk mounted with an identical disk, also basically a vmdk file.
From there , more specific from one pool then I start my VM machines
This was working flawless until recently…

Omnios didn’t boot anymore and I managed to snap a screenshot of the boot process…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SunOS Release 5.11 Version omnios-b281e50 64-bit
Copyright…..
NOTICE: Cannot read the pool lable frpm ‘/pci at 0,0/pci15ad, 1976 at 10/sd at 1,0:a’
NOTICE: spa_import_rootpool: error 5
Cannot mount on /pci at 0,0/pci15ad, 1976 at 10/sd at 1,0:a fstype zfs

panic[cpu0]/thread=fffffffffbc2fac0: vfs_mountroot: cannot mount root

Warning - stack not written to the dump buffer
fffffffffbc722f0 genunix:vfs_mountroot+373 ()
fffffffffbc72330 genunix:main+138 ()
fffffffffbc72340 unix:_locore_start+90 ()

skipping system dump - no dump device configured
rebooting…
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now here are my two questions:

1. Anyone any idea why I get this message during boot?

2. Would it make sense to install a fresh stable Omnios and import all my pools? It’s only 3 mirrored data pools…
	I have to say that I’m a little scared of doing this since I had once an episode after updating omnios that my pools went “bad” after the upgrade. So I downgraded to where I am now and never touched it anymore but maybe it is time to move on…

systemspec:
Supermicro X9SCL
Intel 1240v2
32GB RAM
2 M1015 controller flashed with IT Firmware
NEW: two EVO 850 SSD’s for omnios mounted in ESXi
2 320GB HDD
2 4TB HDD
2 3TB HDD

I appreciate your help