[OmniOS-discuss] CIFS File Lock Problems

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Fri Mar 6 03:08:30 UTC 2015

We are currently actually using samba under omnios rather than the in-kernel CIFS server. One reason is that the in-kernel server does not support our requirement to use an MIT Kerberos realm for NFS, and an active directory domain for CIFS. Another is that samba just supports more current features of CIFS.

I believe both of these issues are resolved in the nexenta illumos fork, which implements SMB2 and fixes a lot of other stuff. That code has been released and is available for integration into upstream illumos (where it would then come back down into omnios), but unfortunately that would be a lot of work and I don't believe anyone is currently planning on doing it :(. If that ever happens we will reevaluate the in-kernel CIFS server, as I'd rather be using that…