[OmniOS-discuss] incomplete recursive snapshots

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Fri Mar 13 07:25:14 UTC 2015

I got a bunch of new disks on one of our systems and wanted to
transfer an existing pool over to them so what I did was this:

    zfs snapshot -r old-pool at replicaton
    zfs send -R old-pool at replication | mbuffer -m 1G  | zfs receive -F -d  new-pool

but then halfway through the operation, I got warnings from send,
that old-pool/some/fileset at replication would not exist ...

when I went to investigate, I found indeed that zfs snapshot -r had
neglected to create a snapshot on old-pool/some/fileset. So I
ran

    zfs list -r -o name old-pool | xargs -n1 perl -e 'system "zfs","list",$ARGV[0].q{@replication}'

and found that there were about 10% of the filesets which were
lacking this snapshot ...

I then proceeded to create the missing snapshot individually, and
it worked fine.

I have since repeated the experiment and found the same problem
again ...

any idea how this can be ?

cheers
tobi