[OmniOS-discuss] How to check if you have enough NFS server threads?

Chris Siebenmann cks at cs.toronto.edu
Fri Mar 20 20:09:32 UTC 2015

 We're running into a situation with one of our NFS ZFS fileservers[*]
where we're wondering if we have enough NFS server threads to handle
our load. Per 'sharectl get nfs', we have 'servers=512' configured,
but we're not sure we know how to check how many are actually in use
and active at any given time and whether or not we're running into
this limit.

 Does anyone know how to tell either?

 We've looked at mdb -k's '::svc_pool nfs' but I've concluded that I
don't know enough about OmniOS kernel internals to know for sure what
it's telling us (partly because it seems to be giving us implausibly
high numbers). Is the number we're looking for 'Non detached threads'
minus 'Asleep threads'? (Or that plus detached threads?)

 Thanks in advance.

	- cks
[*: our server setup and configuration is:
	http://utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog/solaris/ZFSFileserverSetupII
]