[OmniOS-discuss] NFS v4.1 in OmniOS stable?

Ian Kaufman ikaufman at eng.ucsd.edu
Fri Mar 20 20:23:19 UTC 2015

Lustre is great for HPC. It lacks the "sanctity of data" that other
solutions have. It is getting there - using ZFS is a huge step
forward, but Lustre is by no means a general purpose solution at this
point.

Ian

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 1:09 PM, Andrew Gabriel
<illumos at cucumber.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Dan McDonald wrote:
>>>
>>> On Mar 20, 2015, at 2:27 PM, Jeff Stockett <jstockett at molalla.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Does OmniOS support NFS v4.1?  4.1 support is a new feature in esxi v6,
>>> and I was trying to set it up as described here:
>>>  http://wahlnetwork.com/2015/02/02/nfs-v4-1/
>>>  Things of course work fine if I use NFS v3, but if I try v4.1, I get a
>>> timeout error when it tries to attach the data store.  Both the omnios
>>> server and the esxi client are properly joined to Active Directory so I
>>> think the required Kerberos stuff should be working.
>>>

>> We have NFS4.0 and earlier.  We do not have NFS4.1.  It would be a very
>> sizeable undertaking, requiring illumos community support.  If anyone would
>> lead the charge on that, it'd be a storage-oriented firm, like Nexenta, or
>> Delphix.
>>

> Does anyone seriously use (or intend to use) 4.1 anymore?
>
> Lustre has the parallel file server market (with some pockets of AFS too).
> The large growth of parallel storage servers now tends to be object storage,
> and S3 (as a protocol) has become the standard for that.
>
> Kind of makes me wonder what the market for NFSv4.1 is?
>
> --
> Andrew

Ian Kaufman
Research Systems Administrator
UC San Diego, Jacobs School of Engineering ikaufman AT ucsd DOT edu