[OmniOS-discuss] Potential KVM Virtio Performance Issues

John Barfield john.barfield at bissinc.com
Wed Mar 25 01:50:25 UTC 2015

Actually the numbers I sent for the SmartOS VM to VM test were on a switch with Jumbo frames (switch = 9216 mtu...SmartOS GZ MTU = 9000) (Extreme Networks Summit X440-48t release 15.2.3 patch12) Theyre also sitting in Q-in-Q tagged VLANs. Admin tagged nic sits in Vman (provider bridge) 10 the VMs were tagged in VLAN 1674. (not bad :) really)

As far as everyone who is wondering how I got 952 Mbps on OmnisOS KVM while running in a zone I plan to write up a how-to that can be posted to the core site if you'd like. There are several caveats that are not documented today for running KVM in a zone. Not that I didnt reverse engineer some of Joyents work of course.

Thanks and have a great day,

John Barfield