[OmniOS-discuss] Potential KVM Virtio Performance Issues

John Barfield john.barfield at bissinc.com
Thu Mar 26 20:50:32 UTC 2015

So I was still having issues with virtio performance. I’ve finally determined that its the child zone that is  capping the throughput at 85mbps.

If I halt the zone and launch the same VM from the GZ I get 955mbps.

Another thing…the virtio driver in Centos6.6 does not work well with OmniOS kvm.

I can boot Centos from either the GZ or a CZ and I’m actually getting results in the Kb now instead of mbps with iperf. May have something to do with the tcp window being 19.5 kb on CentOS vs 85kb on Ubuntu. Assuming this is a driver problem.

The only OS I get good speeds with are Ubuntu server 14.04 running the Global Zone. (Have only tested two though :))

So my recipe for decent virtio performance on OmniOS:

Ubuntu Linux Server 14.04 running in Global Zone.

Does anyone have any idea why the child zone is capping my throughput?

Am I missing a zone cfg parameter to allow the child zone to have full 1GB bandwidth?