[OmniOS-discuss] best or preferred 10g card for OmniOS

Stephan Budach stephan.budach at JVM.DE
Fri Mar 27 05:49:00 UTC 2015

Am 27.03.15 um 01:05 schrieb Phil Harman:
> SFPs? Are you know kidding me? For my home lab I bought a pair of
> X540-T2 cards, which will even run over Cat5 for about a metre. They
> use a lot more power than SFP though :)

He he… 1m doesn't buy you much in a server room, so we're using almost
only 540-T2 over Cat6 and we never had a problem under Solaris or OmniOS.
I'd always choose the Intel 10GbEs over all other brands. I've had
horrible issues with Broadcom-based NICs in my Dells and they will have
to prove their reliability to a load of other people first, before I
will even consider, buying those again… but, I guess so will other do as
well. ;)

> No issues at all with illumos or VMware.
>
> On 26 Mar 2015, at 16:45, Jeff Stockett <jstockett at molalla.com
> <mailto:jstockett at molalla.com>> wrote:
>
>> I would concur with what Chip said.  We’ve had good luck with the
>> Intel X520s setup with LACP to a Nexus 5000 – and also have a few
>> X540s.  The X520s are a bit picky about SFPs but Appoved makes one
>> that works and is reasonably affordable.

Stephan Budach
Managing Director
Jung von Matt/it-services GmbH
Glashüttenstraße 79