[OmniOS-discuss] ZFS ACL Solaris CIFS and Windows client

Günther Alka alka at hfg-gmuend.de
Fri May 1 17:32:49 UTC 2015

ZFS properties, see Oracke docs ex
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19120-01/open.solaris/817-2271/gbaaz/index.html <http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19120-01/open.solaris/817-2271/gbaaz/index.html>

If you want full permissions on files on an SMB share, you must either connect as user root
or as an AD user that is idmapped to Unix root

Adding a user to the SMB group administrators is needed for some administration
tasks (ex remote computer management) but root permission is the key for
any file permission problems.

Gea

> Am 30.04.2015 um 08:56 schrieb Sebastian Gabler <sequoiamobil at gmx.net>:
>
> Am 29.04.2015 um 20:07 schrieb omnios-discuss-request at lists.omniti.com:
>> Message: 3
>> Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 19:22:34 +0200
>> From: G?nther Alka <alka at hfg-gmuend.de>
>> To: omnios-discuss <omnios-discuss at lists.omniti.com>
>> Subject: Re: [OmniOS-discuss] ZFS ACL Solaris CIFS and Windows client
>>
>> Lets?s begin with ZFS properties
>> - aclinhert: passthrough
> Thanks. It was on "restricted". I applied the change, but that makes no difference to my original problem.
>> - aclmode: does not matter for CIFS
> Thanks. Do you have any sources for that for futher studies?
>>
>> Next, set idmappings
>> - in Workgroup mode: do not set any user mappings (only group mappings)
>> - in Domain mode: set domainadmins => root
> That's already the case. On that occasion: how would one delegate operator permissions for ACL assignment to other users. i.e. if I want certain Domain Users to change ACLs, permissions, and privileges, on shares of the illumos machine, who are not member of the domain admin group?
>>
>> Next: join AD Domain (for domain mode)
>>
>> Next: SMB connect
>> - use root (requires a passwd root to generate s SMB password) or
>> - use an Domain Admin account (requires the idmapping to root)
> I am using the domain admin account. Note: what specifically is not working is to set ownership on behalf of a different domain user.
>>
>> Windows version:
>> - you need Windows Pro or Windows server (no home edition)
> Known.
>>
>> Now you should be able to set ownership and ACL on files and folders.
>>
>> If you want to set ACL on shares, you must
>> - SMB connect as a user that is a member of the Administrators group
>> - use Computer Management on Windows and connect OmniOS
> Trying the latter ends up in "access denied".
> Maybe there is something broken with the user mapping. (i.e., the domain admin >root mapping was done, but how do I check if it is in effect, how do I check if root (who is in my understanding the provider of the permissions to domain admin, right?) has the required privs?
>>

>> Gea
>>

>>> Am 28.04.2015 um 14:09 schrieb Sebastian Gabler <sequoiamobil at gmx.net>:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am a bit stuck in getting my ACL management straight for the CIFS shares I run. What I would like to do is to set all the ACLs from Windows. What does not work right now is to assign ownership to a sharepoint or an object below it to a different user, i.e. to set ownership as the Domain Administrator to a specific user. I get an error message that a "Restore" privilege would be missing, but the error message is unclear if that applies to the current context (Domain Administrator), or the prospective owner. I can set full control for that user, however.
>>> Specifically,
>>> 1. I am wondering how to get, from my illumos machine, the privileges applicable on an object for a certain user.