[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS NFS fileserver hanging under sustained high write loads

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Tue May 5 16:02:54 UTC 2015

> On May 5, 2015, at 11:48 AM, Chris Siebenmann <cks at cs.toronto.edu> wrote:
>
>>> On May 4, 2015, at 9:03 PM, Dan McDonald <danmcd at omniti.com> wrote:
>>> I swear I've seen someone try to address this before.  Maybe it's from =
>> my Nexenta days.  I will be querying the illumos developer's list (as I =
>> suspect this affects the other distros as well if they haven't fixed it =
>> in their local illumos children).
>>
>> Folks who aren't Chris, see here:
>>
>> http://www.listbox.com/member/archive/182179/2015/05/sort/time_rev/page/1/entry/4:58/20150505065805:98F5E7D6-F315-11E4-87B6-F3BD9F3176C1/
>>
>> The hard part will be testing this.  I'm not sure I have the HW in-house
>> to do it.  I may need illumos community help.
>
> Since we have a test environment where we can reproduce this and a high
> interest in seeing it fixed, we can test new kernel packages and so on.
>
> (If given specific howto instructions we can probably build test kernels
> from source, but we've never tried to do any OmniOS source building
> before so it may take us some time to get up to speed on that. It'd be
> much easier to take a prebuilt test kernel, drop it in, and go.)

I can turn around the whole world in an hour or less and provide ONU images if your'e on 012 or 014.  What revision are you running currently? I can also help you get a build-illumos-omnios up and running as well.  Pick your favorite.

I won't be able to do this until later this afternoon, however.  I've some pressing illumos things first.

Thanks,