[OmniOS-discuss] opendj in a zone

Benjamin Sherman benjamin at holyarmy.org
Tue May 12 18:33:36 UTC 2015

Johan,

I use OpenDJ and I've run it both on Linux and OmniOS.

The simplest solution is do not attempt to run the control panel app from the OmniOS server.

1) Download/copy the OpenDJ package, or even a tarball of your installation from the OmniOS machine to a "desktop" machine, anything where you have Java and X11 (or Mac or Windows).
2) From that machine, run the control-panel.
3) When it starts, you'll need to provide IP, port, and credentials to make it talk to the OpenDJ daemon process on OmniOS machine, but it should work just fine otherwise.

As Dan suggested, you can also install the X11 libs on OmniOS, but you'd still need a local X11 server for the remote control-panel process to use for user interaction.

-Benjamin