[OmniOS-discuss] ping rtt for KVM in zone

Dominik Hassler hasslerd at gmx.li
Wed May 13 09:02:57 UTC 2015

Hi,

I am running my KVMs in individual zones and seeing an increased ping rtt by a factor of approx. 7 compared to ping rtt when running the same KVM inside the GZ (cf. attached smokeping chart).

This does *only* affect virtio nics but not e1000 nics. For e1000 nics the ping rtt remains the same, no matter if the KVM runs in the GZ or a NGZ.

Dan's 'KVM Performance Update' did resolve the throughput issue, but not the strange ping behaviour I am seeing.

Any ideas why it only affects virtio nics and when the KVM is in a zone? Any ideas how to improve it?