[OmniOS-discuss] KVM Performance Update

Ottmar Klaas ottmarklaas at countermail.com
Wed May 13 18:21:51 UTC 2015

On 13 May 2015, at 14:14, Michael Rasmussen wrote:

> On Tue, 12 May 2015 14:59:02 -0400
> Dan McDonald <danmcd at omniti.com> wrote:
>

>> I chose option #2:
>>
>> 	https://github.com/omniti-labs/omnios-build/commit/0268a2ff04b1cbed2324054cb97a0f36c58989b0
>>
>> There's now an update for r151014 that has the updated system/kvm
>> (qemu/userland) and driver/virtualization/kvm (kernel KVM driver) on
>> the repo server.  A "pkg update" will update your packages AND boot
>> archive without.  I do recommend, however, you power down your KVM
>> instances and "pkill qemu" prior to running the update.
>>
> Has someone made performance test with the patched kvm package?

For me network performance measured via iperf almost quadrupled, hitting
around 380MBit/s. Both from global zone to ubuntu guest and separate
computer on network to ubuntu guest. My previous results are listed here
(amongst other):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uhCR4A9VawJsNG01AuC5CBVTQYlkoY1m9qdSuAwZp-s/edit#gid=0