[OmniOS-discuss] disk failure causing reboot?

Jeff Stockett jstockett at molalla.com
Mon May 18 19:01:46 UTC 2015

Hi Dan,

The pool is made up of 36 disks - 6 x 6 raidz2 vdevs with some SSDs for l2arc and slog.  I already replaced the drive and the rebuild is nearly done, but I was mostly curious why a disk failure would cause a reboot?  I get that it was apparently hanging the pool up, and that according to some posts I read the developers seem to think it is better the panic/dump/reboot than leave it hung until someone notices, but wouldn't it really be better just to drop the failed drive out of the array? Is it because the system in question is using a SAS expander or is this only expected behavior sometimes depending on how the drive fails?  I guess I might expect this with consumer grade SATA drives, but wasn't expecting it with $$$ enterprise SAS drives.

Thanks,  Jeff